Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 2000 21:06:31 -0800
From:      Matt Pillsbury <mtp@brsp.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Trouble with GNOME libraries.

Hi, all,

I've recently started trying to upgrade my 3.5-STABLE's installation
of GNOME (primarily to get at goodies like galeon and the new version
of gnomeicu) out of ports, and I've been having some unnaccountably
weird difficulties.

For instance, when I try to build "oaf" out of ports, I get the fol-
lowing error message:

checking for glib-config... /usr/local/bin/glib12-config
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... yes
checking for orbit-config... /usr/local/bin/orbit-config
checking for ORBit - version >= 0.5.1... no
*** Could not run ORBIT test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding ORBit or finding the wrong
*** version of ORBit. If it is not finding ORBit, you'll need to set your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
*** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that
*** is required on your system
***
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
***
*** If you have a RedHat 5.0 system, you should remove the ORBit package that
*** came with the system with the command
***
***    rpm --erase --nodeps orbit orbit-devel
configure: error: ORBit not installed or installation problem

and then I get a bunch of error messages about a faied compilation.
Now, the really weird part is that when *I* run
/usr/local/bin/orbit-config --version from the command line, I get the
following output:

ORBit 0.5.4

which makes sense, since I installed the package yesterday.

Any advice as to what's up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Matt

--
Matt Pillsbury
mtp@straylight.brsp.net