Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 2015 10:35:39 -0700
From:      jungle Boogie <jungleboogie0@gmail.com>
To:        Quartz <quartz@sneakertech.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Questions about freebsd-update

On 7 July 2015 at 17:14, Quartz <quartz@sneakertech.com> wrote:
> 1) How do I get a list of available updates for a system WITHOUT actually
> downloading anything or writing any files to disk?

Well when I use freebsd-update it's to fetch security advisories and
errata notices, both available on the lower right side here:
https://www.freebsd.org/
Open one up, look for the patch and view it.

I have no idea about 2.

For 3, the SA and EN contain this at the bottom:
VI.  Correction details
The following list contains the correction revision numbers for each
affected branch.

I don't think you'd be able to patch a release machine without
freebsd-update as with stable/head, you need to fetch latest code,
build world and head as described here:
https://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/makeworld.html

--
-------