Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:34:34 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I'm a 'tard - I don't know what a Subject line is (Was well, no subject)

Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:
> Bill Moran wrote:
> > Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:
> >=20

> >>I would be sooo much nicer it 'tards would learn to use the subject line
> >=20
> >=20
> > Those kind of comments are not welcome on this list.
> >=20
> > When a poster violates the posting policy, it is customary to _politely_
> > direct him/her to a reference regarding the proper policy, i.e.
> > http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
>=20
> Then something has changed. So often flames start by a user simply=20
> asking a question that had he/she simply searched the list - would have=20
> found the answer covered many times over.

No.  Nothing has changed.  The official list policy has ALWAYS been to
be polite.  And people have ALWAYS violated that policy.  And people
like me have ALWAYS jumped in and made a point of the fact that this
kind of thing is NOT acceptable.

I don't care how many flame wars have upset you.  This list can get
VERY frustrating at times ... since it's not moderated, people say a
lot of things, but that doesn't mean it's OK.  It just means that
nobody's going to get banned from the list because they have a bad
day.

On top of that, I'm pointing out ... once again, that OFFICIAL LIST POLICY
is posted at http://www.lemis.com/questions.html (there is a copy of
this on www.freebsd.org, but I don't feel like searching for it right
now)  and I quote:

"... If you find you can't answer without being rude, don't answer.

" If you just want to reply to a message because of its bad format,
just reply to the submitter, not to the list. You can just send him
this message in reply, if you like."

> This is really no different then users that top post.
> Sorry folks, I'm not the "touchy-feely" type.
> Choose your verbiage - I call it as I see it.

I don't really care what "type" you are.  If you continually make
rude remarks to new posters, I will email postmaster@ with a corpus
of your rudeness, and request that you be banned on the basis that
it's against list policy.

As I said, we all have bad days, I'm no exception.  But admit that
you're having a bad day, apologize for it and move on.  If you
can't do that, you should follow grog's advice and "don't answer."

--=20
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies
http://www.potentialtech.com