Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 22:07:03 -0400
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix Virus.. Old but Nasty

Admittedly I haven't checked in a long time, but when I did last check
it asked me what shell I wanted when I went to single user mode.  I'm a
bit surprised yours doesn't do this...anyone know what the 4.0-STABLE
does right now?

Harry Putnam wrote:

> Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net> writes:
>
> > Last I checked if you just change the root shell to bash it will do what
> > you want.  FreeBSD should prompt for the root shell when you boot up in
> > single user anyway, so you can just tell it /bin/sh or /bin/csh then.
>
> If you set bash as root shell, at least for me, it breaks if you have
> to login from an emergency `boot -s' because some of the libraries or
> something that bash uses are not on the "/" root partition.

Laurence Berland, Stuyvesant HS Debate
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Windows 98: n.
        useless extension to a minor patch release for
        32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a
        16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system
        originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,
        written by a 2-bit company that can't stand for
        1 bit of competition.
http://stuy.debate.net
icq #7434346                    aol imer E1101
The above email Copyright (C) 2000 Laurence Berland
All rights reserved