Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 1997 13:38:31 -0500
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape and NIS

 >> Tread carefully. Keep your head down. Don't talk to any strangers.
 >> Remember the Alamo.
 > Three of four.  What's the Alamo? (note domain)

The Alamo is the site of what is probably the most significant event
in Texas history.

When Texas was fighting for its independance from Mexico, several
missions were converted into forts.  One such mission was the Alamo,
in San Antonio, on the Yanaguana river.  At this site, the soldiers
fought off Santa Anna's army for, well, I can't remember how long but
it was a long time.  After it became clear that supplies were running
low, and reinforcements wouldn't arrive in time, Col. Travis drew a
line in the dirt with his sword.  He said that there would be no
survivors (Santa Anna had already blown no quarter), but if the Alamo
did not keep off the army then Texas would surely lose the war.
Except for one mercenary, every man crossed the line, including the
already-crippled Jim Bowie, and the American legend Davy Crockett.
Although the Alamo ultimately fell, these men staying behind and
defended it made it possible for Texas to prepare its forces against
Santa Anna's onslaught.  After that, the cries of the Texas army,
"Remember the Alamo!  Remember Goliad!" were heard as Texas fought
for-- and eventually won-- its independance from Mexico.

Best,
joelh

--
http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
All my opinions are my own, not the FSF's, my employer's, or my dog's.

Fourth law of computing:
  Anything that can go wro
.signature: segmentation violation -- core dumped