Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 13:54:18 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <st@i-plus.net>
To:        "James" <jrsysadmin@empireone.net>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: anyone run an isp with freebsd

Well, of course we do.  That's the purpose of this list.

Now, why you sent your original message directly to me as well as the list,
I have no idea... that's why I ignored it.

As for the question itself, it makes no sense, which is probably why most
everyone else ignored it.  NFS does work after a fashion, but there are
problems with locking.  Seems that nobody with sufficient clue and desire
has sat down to fix it.  No big deal though, there's ways to work around the
problems.

If you're looking for a real solution, however, try telling us the
particulars of what you want to accomplish:

	How many users?
	Will they have shell access?
	What do you plan on putting on the RAID box?
	Why do you think you need a RAID subsystem?

I've got a 3600 user ISP running on 5 boxes, none of them with any RAID
subsystem.  RAID sounds good, and is a neat concept, but I've yet to see a
real need for it.

I suppose that RAID would be a neat toy to use on the box that hosts /home
(we deliver mail to $HOME/.mail), but until we reach into the 10's of
thousands of users, I doubt we'll really need that much hardware (most users
don't bother with personal web pages, so there's really very little storage
needs for even 3600 users)

The second RAID application that we might consider, would be a monster squid
box.  But, a handfull of disks and ccd should do the trick nicely for that
application.

Other RAID applications might include a fileserver for a large web farm, but
this is an ideal, and far from necessary.  In fact, it might be best to make
each machine a complete stand-alone box in terms of the content that it
provides.

Laterz,

Troy Settle
iPlus Internet Services