Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2003 18:04:09 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        <chael@southgate.ph.inter.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD beside WinXP

On Thursday 20 November 2003 04:49 pm, chael@southgate.ph.inter.net wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies. And yes, that's what my FAT32 is for... sort of
> a mediator for the different OSes which also contains important files but
> no directories for working applications.
>
> Ok, let me get this in short. You basically recommend me to follow this
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#NT-BOOTLOAD
>ER ?

The boot.ini on that page is a copy of most of my boot.ini's. A number of us
were trying various solutions and one of the docs-commiters distilled the
essentials from everyone's comments into that page. I like using ntldr
because I can set the boot to FreeBSD, tell XP to restart and go grab
something to drink. When I come back, FreeBSD will be running.

> If I want to copy that /boot/boot1 from my FreeBSD partion to my drive C:\,
> how can I get to my FreeBSD partition, in the first place, if I won't be
> able to boot from it after installation? (because I assume the above steps
> would require you not to touch your MBR while installing FreeBSD). Can I
> create a boot disk to boot that FreeBSD?

You don't touch the mbr but FreeBSD will set its partition as the active one.
When you want to run XP, you just have to set it back to your c-drive as the
active one. You can mount your 10GB partition and copy /boot/boot1 on to it
or mount the cd on XP and copy it there before you start. If you have a
bootsec.bsd in your boot.ini, FreeBSD will just automagically run when you
choose it.

Kent