Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 2004 20:29:33 -0500
From:      Jon Drews <jon.drews@gmail.com>
To:        Chris <chris@tellme3times.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB Epson Stylus CX-5400

Hi Chris:

 The Epson CX-5400 is supported
http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=Epson+&model=&bus=any

(halfway down the page is were it is listed)

1) Install /usr/ports/graphics/sane-backends/ and /usr/ports/graphics/xsane/
2) run:
 # sane-find-scanner
 as root. In the case of my Epson, it found  /dev/uscanner0
3) For an Epson scanner edit /usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf
and put in the device that sane-find-scanner discovered. In my case, the
epson.conf file looks like so. Be sure to comment out the line "scsi EPSON".

# epson.conf
#
# here are some examples for how to configure the EPSON backend
#
# SCSI scanner:
#scsi EPSON
#
# Parallel port scanner:
#pio 0x278
#pio 0x378
#pio 0x3BC
#
# USB scanner - only enable this if you have an EPSON scanner. It could
#               otherwise block your non-EPSON scanner from being
#               recognized.
#               Depending on your distribution, you may need either the
#               first or the second entry.
#usb /dev/usbscanner0
#usb /dev/usb/scanner0
usb /dev/uscanner0

4) Add your account to group operator like so:
operator:*:5:root,$ACCOUNT_THAT_HAS_SCANNER

5) Start Xsane or one of the other front ends and begin scanning.
Works like a charm.