Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 1996 08:49:24 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Trevor Mendez <tmendez@BBN.COM>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:  Net Install with 3c589 (PCMCIA)

> >Did you run the software w/out card services running?
>
> I ran 3com's install software first with card services running, and then
> later without card services running.
>
> >What is the IOMEM set to?  You can't set the IOMEM value, but you can
> >look at what it's set to using the configuration program.
>
> With CS, it was set to 0x110, and it could not be set as you suggested.
> Without CS, it was set to 0x200, but I was able to change it to 0x300, 0x3a0,
> ... (whatever I wanted within the range 0x200 - 0x3a0).

Umm, that's the port setting.  There are 3 settings you need to know.
The port, the IRQ, and the IOMEM setting.  However, I can't remember if
3COM's utility calls it that.  However, you can set the first 2 using
the utility, but you can't set the third.  You can only read the third
setting by using the 'look at the card' settings.  It should look
something like 0xDE00 or something like that.  This means you would set
the iomem setting in FreeBSD to 0xde000 (note the extra zero), since the
3COM device writes the value in segment format. :)

> I assume it "just worked" for you (and/or others who've tried it).

Once it's configured correctly it does.  When we get PC-CARD support in
the system, tested, and debugged it'll be much easier, but until that
time this is a hack to get it working.  (I've been working on PC-CARD
stuff the last couple weeks, and started getting code in the tree
yesterday).

Nate