Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 12:35:31 +0200
From:      Nils Holland <nils@daemon.tisys.org>
To:        Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
Cc:        Patrik ?str?m <patrik@astrom.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 07:44:53PM -0500, Scott Robbins stood up and spoke:
> > May  1 22:02:36 samuraj /kernel: ad1: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
> > May  1 22:02:41 samuraj /kernel: ad1c: hard error reading fsbn 5166688 of
> > 258329
>
> This is a common problem. 9 times out of 10, it can be fixed by
> replacing your IDE cable with shielded 80 pin ATA 100 IDE cables.

Indeed - and I can tell you that not all of these 80-pin seemingly
ATA100-capable cables are the same. We once built a lot of identical
machines using (if I remember correctly) Chaintech boards, using the cables
supplied with them in order to connect UDMA100 HDDs from Western Digital.
Although these IDE cables were 80pin, many of the machines we had built
showed the above symptoms. When we replaced the (maunufacturer-supplied)
IDE cables against our own ones, the problems were instantly gone. In the
end, even though not all machines were affected, we still decided to put
our own 80pin IDE cables in all of them ;-)

Bottom line: If you get error messages like mentioned above, even though
you are using an 80pin IDE cable that normally *should* be able to do
UDMA100 without any problems, replacing the cable against another one is
definately the first thing to do before suspecting something else to be
broken ;-)

Greetings
Nils

--