Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 13:18:09 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1 release sysinstall

>  > Querying foreign hosts with SNMP is considered bad style, and is very
>  > unlikely to yield responses anyway.
> Hi,
>
> "bad style" and "foreign hosts" not sure what to make out of that if
> the hosts are freebsd hosts or are hosting freebsd. At any rate for sure
> we can use snmp to query hosts which are running snmp daemons.
... if we have the owners permission.

Even if we did query with SNMP, what would you ask for ?

I guess that the best thing so far would be to send a single ping
to all the servers, order by return TTL and turn-around, and take
the best.
whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.