Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 1998 19:47:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "Donald J. Maddox" <dmaddox@scsn.net>
Cc:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 16650 Support(?)

On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Donald J. Maddox wrote:

> > I expect the Bitsurfer has an AT command which does the same.
>
> Yeah, it would seem that way :-)  Actually, the BitSURFR does have such
> an AT command...  But...
>
> The AT command to use both B channels is 'AT@B0=2' on the BitSURFR; however,
> it has 3 different rate adaption protocols: V.120, AIMux, and PPP.  If I
> use V.120, everything works great, but, unfortunately, V.120 does not support
> channel bonding.  If I use PPP (which _does_ support channel bonding, and

  V120 is very slow anyhow.  V120 provides an async emulation for sync
lines, which kills your performance.

> which works great under W95 dial-up networking), the modem connects fine,
> but instead of a login prompt, I just get garbage characters from the

  Remember you are going from async PPP in FreeBSD to sync MP on the ISP
side.  Sync serial cant display login prompts (or any prompts for that
matter).  You must use PAP for username and password.  Only provide a
phone number, and let PAP take over.

> modem.  I know the problem is something simple that I am just not quite
> grasping, since W95 dial-up networking seems to be able to log me into

  Win95 always uses PAP.

  The PPP examples should encorage the use of PAP.  It is easier to use,
and basically every ISP supports it.  Death to login scripts.

Tom