Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 1995 04:31:59 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        phk@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new malloc.c please test

 * You can remove the definition of "curbrk" at line circa 40 and it will
 * go away.

Well, I put /* */ around the line:

#define curbrk _curbrk

and I got seg fault from oneko (previously happily running with your
malloc).  This is what gdb had to say:

(gdb) bt
#0  0x3505 in set_pgdir ()
#1  0x538 in ?? ()
#2  0x35e4 in malloc_init ()
#3  0x3985 in malloc ()
#4  0x80f584f in end ()
#5  0x8039391 in end ()
#6  0x1cd0 in InitScreen ()
#7  0x3260 in main ()

The XF86_S3 server also seg faulted.

Without commenting out that line, I could run oneko successfully and
XF86_S3 without seg faulting.  Although all the X server did was to
give me a blank screen, and I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del out of it. :<

Did I do something wrong?  This is the small Makefile I used to create
the library (I'm not ready to stick it into libc, I have only one
machine and can't afford to lose it):

=======
all:	libphkmalloc.a

libphkmalloc.a:	phkmalloc.o
	rm -f $@
	${AR} cq $@ $>

install: all
	cp libphkmalloc.a /usr/local/lib
=======

And I replaced "-lgnumalloc" in FreeBSD.cf with "-L/usr/local/bin
-lphkmalloc" before going to /usr/X11R6/lib/Server and doing "mkmf;
make".

Satoshi