Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:24:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Barry Lustig <barry@lustig.com>
Cc:        vns@delta.odessa.ua, nsayer@kfu.com, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VMWare performance when returning from suspend to disk

:> In muc.lists.freebsd.emulation, you wrote:
:> >> VMWare running on dual 800Mhz with 512MB RAM runs great, except when I
:> >> suspend to disk and then restore that image.  When the restored image starts
:> >> running, the mouse will move for a few moments and then freeze and then start
:> >> moving again.  The same behavior happens to window input.  During the
:> >> freezes, VMWare seems to be doing a lot of I/O.  Any thoughts on where to
:> >> look?
:>
:I wonder if this has anything to do with a VM problem Matt Dillon just posted
:about in freebsd-stable (Re: Extreme high load with 12/7 4-releng).
:
:barry

    Maybe, maybe not.  This sounds primarily like pagein load whereas my
    patches are primarily geared towards pageout load.  It's possible, but
    not likely.  A 'systat -vm 1' during the period of slowness might help.
    Specifically, the disk I/O, VN PAGER, and SWAP PAGER numbers.

						-Matt