Date:      Sun, 03 Apr 2005 10:25:36 -0500
From:      Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
To:        aj@siegel-tech.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound problem ...

Aaron Siegel wrote:
> Faisal Gillani
>
> I do not like the handbook instructions, read my whining bellow.  I would
> recommend following these procedures for configuring your sound card. The
> instruction in this email are very similar to the handbooks. Do not try to
> figure out what driver you sound card using form the Hardware Notes go
> directly to the /boot/loader.conf.
>
> 1 If you have added the any sound devices to you kernel configuration remove
> remove them. Remove the lines
> 	device	sound
> 	device       snd_*
> You may or my not have this in your kernel. If you have not added the sound
> driver to your kernel the skip to the next step.
>
> 2 You can easily look all the available sound drivers in
> the /boot/loader.conf. (the following list is from 5.3-STABLE, it may not
> match the drivers on your system) :
> sound_load="YES"                 # Digital sound subsystem
> snd_ad1816_load="NO"            # ad1816
> snd_als4000_load="NO"           # als4000
> snd_cmi_load="NO"               # cmi
> snd_cs4281_load="NO"            # cs4281
> snd_csa_load="NO"               # csa
> snd_ds1_load="NO"               # ds1
> snd_emu10k1_load="NO"           # Creative Sound Blaster Live
> snd_es137x_load="NO"            # es137x
> snd_ess_load="NO"               # ess
> snd_fm801_load="NO"             # fm801
> snd_ich_load="NO"               # Intel ICH
> snd_maestro_load="NO"           # Maestro
> snd_maestro3_load="NO"          # Maestro3
> snd_mss_load="NO"               # Mss
> snd_neomagic_load="NO"          # Neomagic
> snd_sb16_load="NO"              # Sound Blaster 16
> snd_sb8_load="NO"               # Sound Blaster Pro
> snd_sbc_load="NO"               # Sbc
> snd_solo_load="NO"              # Solo
> snd_t4dwave_load="NO"           # t4dwave
> snd_via8233_load="NO"           # via8233
> snd_via82c686_load="NO"         # via82c686
> snd_vibes_load="NO"             # vibes
> snd_driver_load="NO"            # All sound drivers

While most of what you say is correct, and I have opted to use
loader.conf for sound, this file is actually in /boot/defaults/loader.conf

By default, /boot/loader.conf is either non-existant, or has very little
in it.

Telling the OP to look in /boot/loader.conf for the lines above will
confuse him/her.

In general, /boot/defaults/loader.conf is a great place to start. Much
like /etc/defaults - these are set as the system defaults. putting the
lines you want in /boot/loader.conf over rides the system defaults.

Also worth noting (as with /etc/defaults) the user ought to get into the
habit of editing the proper files instead of the system default files.

--
Best regards,
Chris

Nothing is ever so bad it can't be made worse by
firing the coach.