Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 08:55:34 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Brian Adkins <brian@lojic.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD emulation for linux

At 01:33 AM 3/23/99 -0500, Brian Adkins wrote:

>Brett, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but if you want folks to take you
>seriously, you're going to have to stop making such outlandish statements.
>If you really think developers will "NEVER" target a platform because an
>emulator exists, you're clueless.

No, the developers are clueless. Or maybe they're actually quite smart.
However, THIS IS WHAT THEY ARE TELLING ME. Point blank.

Sorry if you don't like the message, but shooting the messenger in
denial is not generally considered to be a good strategy.

>Are you really suggesting that OS/2's main problem was the fact that it
>emulated Windows?  Please.

This absolutely was OS/2's main problem in getting application support.
It lost them developers they NEVER got back. It was one of the most foolish
blunders IBM ever made -- bar none.

>Where are you coming from man?  Do you really think the naysayers are such
>because it's *easier* to advocate doing nothing?

Yes. And they even say so. Look at Jordan's earlier message:

"I see neither the motivation nor the available talent (at
least in the same package) to make it happen."

[Translation: I'm killing the motivation by not supporting
the idea, and will tell the best talent we have that this is
not a priority.]

>It is not a fact that Linux emulation has not been a "huge blow" to the
>platform; it's your opinion.

Open your eyes, dude, and do your homework. Talk to a few software vendors
who are supporting Linux but not FreeBSD. ASK THEM WHY.

--Brett Glass