Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 00:48:22 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Configuration profiles

According to Dag-Erling Smorgrav:
> As a consultant, I currently need my laptop to handle four different
> configurations:

I have such a system which use symlinks for various files (/etc/rc.conf,
/etc/hosts and such) and a script run to change various parameters (like IP
address).

/etc/
        hosts    -> /etc/conf/current/hosts
        printcap -> /etc/conf/current/printcap
        rc.conf  -> /etc/conf/current/rc.conf

/etc/conf/
        bin/
                ifconfig        change parameters according to current/params
                switch-to       switch between configurations
        current -> whichever config is current {eec,home,usenix}
        eec/
                hosts
                printcap
                params
                rc.conf
        home/
                hosts
                printcap
                params
                rc.conf
        usenix/
                hosts
                printcap
                params
                rc.conf

Could be improved but it works well for me at the moment. Adding a new
configuration is very easy, 'cp -pr  home newconfig' and hack newconfig/*.

If anyone's interested, just yell :)
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 5.0-CURRENT #80: Sun Jun  4 22:44:19 CEST 2000