Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 12:15:30 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        erich@freebsd.org
Subject:   natd and Emerging Tech Sync cards.

Howdy,

I've got a customer here who's using ET's sync cards, and would
like to use ipfw/natd to filter traffic to and fro.  The ET
interface names come up as etha16, etha17, ... etha21.  Corresponding
to the various connections into a FR cloud.   Any attempts to configure
natd with the `ipfw ... divert ... via etha21', result in somthing like:

# ipfw add divert 9999 ip from any to any via etha21
Warning: interface does not exist
00000 divert 9999 ip from any to any via etha2

and digging a bit further, netinet/ip_fw.h shows:

#define FW_IFNLEN       6               /* To keep structure on 2^x boundary */
                char  fu_via_name[FW_IFNLEN];
                short fu_via_unit;
        } fu_via_if;

which I believe is where the `1' is getting lost (with the terminating 0).
Is there any harm in expanding this by a few bytes, or does the structure
have to be on a 2^x boundary?  Can I safely bump this and `make world'?
and have things work?

thanks,
eric
--