Date:      Fri, 08 May 1998 01:20:48 -0700
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   looking for a TCP queue control tool...

I've got a server dishing out lots of goodies.  I'm on an ethernet to a
high-capacity switch.  However, I've also got really bursty traffic, and
I'd like to be able to set a ceiling on what goes out on a sustained basis.
 E.g., even though I can do 10MB/s in theory, I'd like to implement
something to keep me below 2 MB/s in practice.  I realize the most direct
way to do that is implement rate limiting on each service I provide, but
that's not always a tractable problem.  Is there a tool that I can use that
works on FreeBSD that I can use to control bandwidth utilization like this?
 I know high-end routers can do it, I was hoping for a server-local solution.

Ideally, it won't touch port 22 packets, so my interactive sessions
wouldn't be harmed.  :)

	Brian