Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2002 22:30:08 -0800
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rapha=EBl_Ding=E9?= <raphael.dinge@ohmforce.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X over ethernet is too much slow...

On Sunday, Dec 15, 2002, at 21:49 US/Pacific, Rapha=EBl Ding=E9 wrote:
> I've been using another configuration where I switched from ssh to a=20=

> complete xdcmp system.

> normal desktop environment it is quite perfect.
>
> I found that increasing sendspace & rscvspace for tcp in sysctl.conf=20=

> did not change anything, and my thought is that it's got something to=20=

> be with udp/tcp.
>
> Any thoughts on what could affect X performance so much with tcp ?
> Did I misconfigured something ?

X is subject to bad coding.  If one of the elements on your desktop is=20=

set to update, say, 100 times/second, it can seriously affect overall=20
refresh rates.

You may need to take a protocol analyzer to the link to establish=20
what's really going on in the conversation.  Hacking around in the=20
ethernet settings isn't liable to buy you much in your scenario.

KeS