Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 10:40:24 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New name?

At 02:35 AM 4/13/98 -0700, David Greenman wrote:
>It's taken us five years to get the
>name recognition that we have now, and changing the name now would be
>suicide.

Er, WHAT recognition? When I mention FreeBSD, very few professionals even
know what I'm talking about. And the "Free," the internal rhyme, and the
similarity to the colloquialism "freebie" give the initial impresssion
that it's a toy, a game, something cheap, or something that's less than
serious.

It's easy not to see this if one is too close, but them's the facts.

There's MUCH more to be gained than to be lost by using better names and
mounting a serious publicity campaign.

--Brett