Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:48:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "David M. Smith" <DSmith@Cenus.COM>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Application execution.

David M. Smith <DSmith@Cenus.COM> types:
> I would like the two applications to be able to utilize several shared
> procedures.  No problem, I setup and I am using a shared library.
>
> Here is the problem.  I would really like to have app2 pass a
> procedure's address to app1 and thus allow app1 to use the callback (for
> app2) when specific events occur.

I don't think you can safely pass addresses around like that. Just
because the physical memory for a library is shared doesn't mean that
the library is mapped into the same place in the address space of all
processes that use it. I may have that wrong, in which case I'll be
corrected quickly - but would like the correction to include a pointer
to implementation details, because I've got questions in that case!

Well, there is an exception - if you can arrange to get app1 and app2
running on different threads of the same process, you can do
this. That also makes sharing code a lot easier.

> I have been unable to locate any information regarding execution of an
> application, address space or call-back handling.  If you have any
> reading suggestions please let me know.

The simple solution is probably rpc. Check the rpc(3) man page for
information on how to use that. Personally, I skipped that and just
use CORBA. You'll have to install an ORB from the ports tree. If
you're using more than one language, you may need more than one
ORB. The serious upside of this is that, once you've got it set up,
you can debug CORBA objects in an interactive interpreter.

	<mike