Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 23:57:36 -0700
From:      Dragos Ruiu <dr@dursec.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <Jonathan.Chen@itouch.co.nz>, Darryl Williams <darrylw@rocketmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network File System access in FreeBSD 3.3

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 10:28:58PM -0700, Darryl Williams wrote:
> > Anyone,
> >
> > I believe it should be possible to gain access from
> > our Unix box running FreeBSD 3.3 to file
> > systems/directories on either or both Windows 98 and
> > Windows NT Server workstations on our network to
> > enable ready transfer of files either to or from our
> > Unix workstation using an appropriate mount command
> > with the correct syntax, however I am not having any
> > joy.
>
> Currently you can only mount *local* Windows file-systems. Network
> filesystems under Windows are use SMB. I do not believe that FreeBSD
> has a `mount_smb' as yet.
>
> It is, however, possible to mount the FreeBSD file-systems on a Windows
> box using samba.

"smbclient" is a standalone ftp like client that you can use from freebsd to
access windows/smb shares with minimal setup. It is a part of the samba suite.
It might be the fastest way to start.  The samba documentation can be a very
useful and informative read.

www.samba.org

samba is the name of the access software suite on FreeBSD and the protocol used
to transfer the data is called SMB (Server Message Block) - MS calls it CIFS
(Common Internet File System) too.

cheers,
--dr

p.s. hobbit coined the term common insecurities fail scrutiny :-)
--
dursec.com / kyx.net - we're from the future                      http://www.dursec.com
learn kanga-foo from security experts: CanSecWest - May 10-12 Vancouver

Speakers: Ron Gula/NSW, Ken Williams/E&Y, Marty Roesch/Hiverworld,
 Fyodor/insecure.org, RainForestPuppy/wiretrip.net, Theo de Raadt/OpenBSD
   Lance Spitzner/Sun, Fyodor Yarochkin/KALUG, Max Vision/whitehats.com