Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 22:41:14 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -STABLE was stable for long time (Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?)

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Thomas Seck wrote:

> Always happy to serve. But please read my mail Marc had replied to -
> especially the part not quoted in his reply to get my meaning. If I were
> in Marc's position I would run -RELEASE and generate patches for new
> features and bugfixes myself from -STABLE after review and test. Yes,
> this means definitely a lot more work than the occasional CVSup - make
> world - cycle. But after all, that's what system administration is all
> about.

'K, and in my position, how would you test?  These are bugs that are
triggered by "real live, high load" scenarios ... how long do you test for
before you feel it is stable?  One of my servers ran 20 days straight,
with no problems, before it crashed ... if I had tested for 19 days and
decided it was stable, I would have missed that 'last day' ...

Plus, you are advocating a proactive approach of preventing the crashes
before they happen, which means that someone has to find the crashes in
the first place ... I'm advocating that some of us are willing to provide
"real world, high load" servers to generate those crashes so that they can
be fixed, and are looking for some support from those that know enough to
fix it ...