Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 13:23:01 +1300
From:      Matthew Luckie <kluckie@ihug.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Inspiron 8000 & Maestro 3

Hi

I've had an Inspiron 8000 for nearly a year now.  It has a Maestro3
sound card in it.
While I'm aware that I can load it in /boot/loader.conf, i currently
load the module out of /usr/local/etc/rc.d with a kldload

pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro3> port 0xec00-0xecff mem
0xf8ffe000-0xf8ffffff irq 5 at device 3.0 on pci2

I noticed about 6 months ago that playback did not seem smooth, and that
when playing mp3s it makes lots of pop noices like static.  I didnt put
as much effort as I should have into tracking it down - i had upgraded
the bios and performed a cvsup around that time.

Well I have Bios A19 on my Inspiron 8000 and a FreeBSD 4.5-S from a few
days ago and it is still sounding bad.  Is anyone else having this
behaviour from their maestro3 sound card?

--
Matthew Luckie
kluckie@ihug.co.nz