Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 21:33:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: btokup().. patch to STYLE(9) (fwd)

<<On Sat, 30 Jan 1999 10:49:43 +1030, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> said:

> Question: how many people still limit their editor windows to 80
> characters?

Probably almost anyone who uses the default settings.

Many people like to be able to see more than one thing on the desktop
at a time.  Even with a 1280x1024 display on a good 19-inch monitor, I
still can't fit two 80-character windows side-by-side if I want to be
able to read the font.

That's ignoring other issues like trying to print such documents.  HP
printers don't do auto-wrap (and even if they did it wouldn't respect
any semantic value in the code).  Before XFree86 3.3.3 came out, my
laptop could not run X -- presto, automatic 80-character limitation.

-GAWollman