Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 17:46:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jehamby@lightside.com, jfieber@indiana.edu, bostic@bsdi.com, current@freebsd.org, jhs@freebsd.org, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: editors

> Hmmmm.  I see Terry on the Cc list.  Might as well go for broke.. :-)
>
> What would be really neat, mind you, would be to be able to view a
> filesystem as a set of objects with property lists, sets of objects
> being represented by "views" (which would, of course, themselves be
> objects).  Using some sort of query API, you could create new view
> objects to give your objects some illusion of an organizational model
> (e.g.  the existing hierarchichal one or something even more
> outlandish).  Sort of a poor man's relational database at the
> filesystem level.
>
> Then all the rest would be trivial, the implementation of which would
> be left as an exercise to the reader. :-)

Actually, a minor modification of the nullfs could result in a
umsdosfs (assuming the layering call ordering is fixed and the
VFS is called for veto rather than implementation for locking, etc.),
so there's no reason to believe that you couldn't stick a disk
quota interface, or any other type of attribution in there as well.

This is actually one of the design goals of the stacking architecture
mentioned in John's thesis, and one of the main reasons I go on
and on about the Heidemann framework having been "pounded into 4.4"
by the CSRG folks (who were working on a timetable in the face of
legal adversity -- no blame to them).  It's also what I mean when
I talk about "layering fixes"... enabling this type of stacking
usage (try implementing a quota layer in the current code and
watch the VOP_LOCK code go to hell in a handbasket).

An attributed FS is definitely one of the goals I have; I just
finished sending an email to some other FS hackers in an ongoing
discussion of "how to implement a generic bottom-end block interface
with transactioning" using the soft updates work.  This toenails
nicely into the idea of a generic addressable block store in a flat
block name space, on top of which you implement attribution services
for attributes like, oh, say, names and directory hierarchies.  8-).

I think this is the direction we eventually want to pursue to get
the most flexible framework for doing the sort of UI things you
are talking about here (icon binding, etc.).  There's also the
FS event model, which lends itself to soft update representation
as well... you need something like that to be able to say "I'm
a GUI directory browser; tell me when the directory I'm displaying
changes so I can update the screen for the user immediately instead
of after some lame timeout, like Windows or Mac's or UnixWare boxes".

8-).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org