Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:44:31 -0500
From:      Kris Moore <kris@pcbsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Integrating Custom Ports

On 12/10/2013 09:37, Rick Miller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a need to create a custom Ports tree for my organization containing
> custom Ports that currently do not exist as well as existing Ports modified
> with our organization's customizations.  I intend to create a new physical
> category according to the instructions in the Committer's Handbook (
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/article.html#idp65956656)
> where our organization's Ports will be included.
>
> This is my first foray into Ports beyond just installing what is available.
>  So, just looking for some feedback from others doing similar.  Is there
> someone that can provide a few pointers in putting together and managing
> such a system?

Rick,

So the way we've been doing it is with git.

I started by forking the ports tree from here:

https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports/

After cloning the fork to disk, I added a new "remote" for the original
ports tree:

% git remote add freebsd https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports.git

I then added any custom ports / patches to our fork. When I want to
import changes from upstream I just go to my fork and do a new pull:

% git pull freebsd master

Merge any conflicts and commit.

--
Kris Moore