Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 2014 09:29:57 +0200
From:      John Marino <freebsd.contact@marino.st>
To:        "ports-committers@freebsd.org" <ports-committers@freebsd.org>,  eclipse@freebsd.org
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports Management Team <portmgr@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Time to dissolve eclipse@ team? Others want to maintain / team concept in general

For several months while scanning our numerous PRs, I've noticed people
complaining Eclipse was woefully out of 9 month ago.  There have been
several PRs and they aren't even getting answered.

I see a new one on 15 April, requesting maintainership also with
offering patches to update to the latest version.

As I understand it, the eclipse@ team is down to a single person, and I
don't think the team concept should be used with less than 3 people.

What's I'd like to see happen:

1) Portmgr establish minimum requirements for a "team".  Nobody is going
to touch a PR owned by a team, even if it has timed out for months.  I
recommend that a team must consist of at least 3 people, and if this
requirement cannot be maintained then the team must be dissolved.

2) the eclipse team should be dissolved unless more people join it
immediately.  The ports owned by eclipse should be reassigned to either
the current member of eclipse or ports@

3) seriously consider given eclipse maintainership to Jimmy Kelly if the
current maintainers don't have enough time anymore.

Eclipse is an important set of ports and having such an old version
doesn't look for ports, so it could be a Public Relations issue as well.

All that said, maybe the eclipse@ team has plans, but they certainly
haven't been communicated.  None of the last 5 PRs going back July 2013
have been responded to.

Thanks,
John