Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 2008 14:55:31 -0700
From:      John Hein <jhein@timing.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-ports-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: update from 6 to 7 - needs libtool rebuild

Lowell Gilbert wrote at 16:35 -0500 on Nov 13, 2008:
 > John Hein <jhein@timing.com> writes:
 > > So my question is: is this documented and/or widely known?  A full
 > > portupgrade wouldn't help if you were up to date on libtool in 6.x
 > > before updating (unless portupgrade -f is used).
 >
 > But you've *always* needed to rebuild *all* your ports when system
 > libraries got a version bump.  Symbol versioning may make this less of
 > an issue in the future, but even then I'll be expecting to do it when I
 > make major version jumps.

I often don't rebuild everything right away and live with the compat
libs for a while.

That has worked fine in the past (probably had some hiccups that I've
long since forgotten about).  But I understand why the official
position is to rebuild everything.

 > > Would it be worth documenting this in UPDATING (if I haven't
 > > missed it somewhere)?
 >
 > It's in the release notes for every (I think) release.  Other places
 > might make sense also, I guess...

I don't see it at the moment (looking at 6.3's relnotes), but
I didn't look too hard.

Thanks for the answers.