Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:39:49 +0200
From:      "Pål Sommerhein" <pms@jancomulti.com>
To:        "Carlos C. Tapang" <ctapang@aracnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Encanto Networks chooses FreeBSD over Linux

Carlos C. Tapang wrote:

> Just came across an interesting article in Investor's Business Daily (April
> 26th issue) in the Computers and Technology section. The title is "Windows
> Foes Pose A Threat: Ex-Novell CEO". In it Bob Frankenberg cites the reason
> why his company chose FreeBSD over Linux: they did a very careful evaluation
> and "found that there was a 2-1 or 3-1 improvement over Linux". "... A lot
> of work had been done to maximize transaction-processing performance."
> But "Linux, on the other hand, performs better for individual use" because
> of "better network performance".

The last sentence above says that "Linux performs better for individual use
_because_of_better_network_performance."  This is not what the article
conveyed.  The correct interpretation is rather that Encanto Networks Inc.
chose FreeBSD because the company needed better network performance, *not*
better desktop performance.  A quote from the article follows:

	We did a very careful evaluation. The reason
	we went with FreeBSD is that a lot of work had
	been done to maximize transaction-processing
	performance. This can improve the speed of
	accessing Web pages. We found there was a
	2- 1 or 3-1 improvement over Linux.

	Linux, on the other hand, performs better for
	individual use. In general, if I'm a user of a
	desktop computer - instead of a network user
	- I'll get a faster response time on Linux than
	FreeBSD. We needed better network performance.

                 [referring to an asset of FreeBSD]

Paal Sommerhein