Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 08:01:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, svrmsn@email.msn.com
Subject:   Re: Automount Fails with Permission denied

>From: "Salvatore Riccio" <svrmsn@email.msn.com>
>Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 20:33:50 -0400

>I enabled the amd daemon in my rc.conf file. I entered the directory that I
>wanted to
>mount (/home) with the associated nis map (amd.home). I verified that the
>amd daemon was running. I also verified that I can access the map by issuing
>the command,

>ypcat amd.home

OK; "ypcat -k amd.home" is likely to be slightly more useful.

>When I try to login I get permission denied. I then logged in as root and
>tryed to change directory which also gave me the same error, permission
>denied.

At this point, I encourage you to make use of the "amq" command.  It can
display a lot of information about what amd is doing & why.

>Does any one have any suggestions ?

Results from "ls -al" against certain directories (including any error
messages that may result) my well be useful.

I suggest you explore the above, and if you still have problems, re-post...
but you might try including some of the output (sanitized to the degree
that you think is appropriate) in the post, so those of us a bit more
removed from the problem aren't flying quite so blind.

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621