Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 18:26:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@zwb.net>
To:        root@ftp1.mfn.org (Charlie Root)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible bug in IPFW

I only have an answer to the logging question.  IPFW stopps logging at a
certain number.  I don't know what it is, but I know that you can change
it in your kernel configuration file.  Look in the handbook for details.

> As everyone on this list knows, we've been playing with IPFW pretty
> intensely over the last couple of days.  Having finalized our rule
> sets, we went about a stress-test (sans appreciable load) yesterday.
>
> Here is the basic outline:
>
> (1) Rulesets.  Allow this, that, blah, blah, blah...
> (2) Final rule: 65500 deny log all from any to any
>
> So we bring up the filter machine, and start attacking it:
>
> (3) First, (and last it turns out), we scan it twice, first on port
> 1080, and second on port 23 (dont ask why these ports, it's a long
> story). The scan consists of attempting to establish connections
> (i.e., *not* a "stealth" scanner) at each address of our ip blocks.
>
> About half way through the "23 series" of scans (which would make it
> about 750 connections attempted, it ceased logging (forever!) with the
> following message:
>
> May 17 00:39:21 attackme /kernel: ipfw: 65500 Deny TCP x.x.x.x:1065 me.me.me.me:23 in via de3
>
> I have checked for disk space, which AFAIK has never exceeded 50% usage on any
> slice, and sure enough, the top user of space was at a mere 45%.  /var is at 3%.
>
> Except for the fact that it is no longer logging, it appears to be ok: cron
> is running and doing it's thing, it succeeded in backing itself up last night,
> and it still appears to be filtering, although *without* logging bad packets.
>
> Should I be forwarding this to the bugs list, or have I missed something
> very basic here?
>
> TIA
>
> J.A. Terranson
> sysadmin@mfn.org
>
> A small fading light in a vast and obscure universe.
>
> SUPPORT YOUR RIGHT TO PRIVACY: ENCRYPT!

Dima Dorfman (dima@zwb.net)

"640k ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
Micro$oft Sucks!  FreeBSD Rules!  http://www.freebsd.org/

Finger dima@zwb.net for more information.