Date:      Sat, 06 Feb 1999 02:00:15 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Patrick Anthofer <pata@teleweb.at>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows NT and Free BSD

David Kelly wrote:

> Patrick Anthofer writes:
> > I have an Intel Pentium 133 / 32MB Ram and 2 HD with 2 partitions each.
> > One Harddrive has got the NTFS and the other one has got FAT.
> > I was wondering what would happen if I installed FREE BSD on one of the
> > FAT Partitions. Would a MULTI OS BOOT Manager be created or something
> > like that?
>
> You'd probably want to REPLACE one or two of the FAT partitions. Just
> tell FreeBSD it can have it.  :-)
>
> Mark Ovens pointed out there are instructions in the FreeBSD FAQ on how
> to use NT as your boot loader, here is the URL:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ122.html#122
>
> Personally, I left an empty partition at the start of my 9G HD, empty
> for a year or two, until I broke down and put NT 4.0 there. *I* boot
> into NT from BootEasy.

Now there's a neat trick :-), installing NT _after_ FreeBSD _and_ using
BootEasy to boot it. How about documenting it.

I always take the safe route, install M$ first as it stomps on the MBR
because it assumes that there's only M$ OS's on the disk, whereas
FreeBSD behaves itself and it's easy enough to dd the first 512 bytes of
the FreeBSD slice into C:\BOOTSECT.BSD and edit C:\BOOT.INI.

> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@nospam.hiwaay.net

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

           My homepage http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~markov
Mark Ovens, CNC Apps Engineer,   |    mailto:marko@uk.radan.com
Radan Computational Ltd          |         http://www.radan.com
Bath, England. CAD/CAM solutions | FreeBSD - The Power To Serve
for the Sheetmetal Work industry.|       http://www.freebsd.org