Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:02:25 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Matt Navarre" <mnavarre@cox.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Subject:   RE: APC UPS question

they all use the same protocol, the difference is between the smart
ups and the backups. all smartups use one protocol all backups
use another.

The very newest ones with usb and such might have changed this, I
don't know.

incidentally with the smartups you can query the ups for the
amount of runtime left so you know how much life is left in the
battery, the ups self-tests this periodically and you can send
a command to it to do this.  Very useful.

Ted