Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 18:13:33 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FluRDoInG <flurdoing@earthling.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.0.5 Installation

On Sun,  1 March 1998 at 15:43:38 +0400, FluRDoInG wrote:
> 	Hello,
> 	I have recently purchased FreeBSD 2.0.5 from my local computer store. I
> think that this is extremely outdated, but i'm sure that it will suffice
> for now. I'm having some serious problems getting it installed, and I'd
> really appreciate all the help you can provide me with. I have read all the
> help files, and documentation and have found no answer.
> 	Firstly, what i would like to do: I would like to create a partion of my
> current 'D' drive (6 gig) of 500M for FreeBSD. D is currently unbootable,
> so I'd like to use your BootMenu feature.

You may have trouble with your system BIOS unless you locate the root
partition entirely in the first 504 MB.

> 	Now, here is my *large* problem. My CD Rom (which uses the
> TEAC_CDI.SYS driver) isn't recognised in DOS mode. However, i am
> currently in the process of using MSCDEX to make it work. I'm
> worried that I won't be able to use the CDROM with FreeBSD.

That's a well-founded worry with that version of FreeBSD.  We had
troubles with ATAPI drives up to about 2.2.  Yours sounds like it
might be an old proprietary drive; I can't recall what 2.0.5 supported
offhand, but 2.1.5 didn't support any Teac drives, so you're probably
out of luck.

> Also, while attempting to create a partion (through the installation
> menu) I must have done something wrong, like deleted a partion, and
> now Windows wont recognize my D drive. Can I restore this somehow?

That depends on what you have done.  Use Microsoft FDISK and try to
figure out what you've done.

> If not, just help me to install FreeBSD from the CD. I discovered,
> too late, that i could have installed it directly off my hard disk
> by copying the FreeBSD files. I'd need my 6 gig hard disk to do
> this.

IIRC you'll have to do this from a primary partition with 2.0.5.  I
understand that Microsoft can't handle more than one primary
partition, so you could be out of luck there, too.  You could try a
minimal installtion first from the primary Microsoft partition, and
then load more and more once you get the system up.

> 	I would seriously appreciate absolutely ANY help you can
> give. I'd really like to get this working. Also, can you tell me
> what new releases of FreeBSD are available?

You should probably check out the pages at http://www.FreeBSD.org/.
Currently we have 2.2.5-RELEASE, in a month or two 2.2.6 will appear,
and there's also the experimental version 3.0-CURRENT.

Walnut Creek CDROM (http://www.cdrom.com/) is the best.

> 	Lastly, I'd just like to inquire about FreeBSD 2.0.5's
> functionality as a workstation machine- as in, no network.

Yes, FreeBSD will even work without a network :-)

Greg