Date:      Tue, 27 Sep 2016 08:55:20 -0400
From:      Margaret <scratch65535@att.net>
To:        FreeBSD Ports list <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Pkg doesn't care about conflict

[Default] On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 13:40:33 +0200, Miroslav Lachman
<000.fbsd@quip.cz> wrote:

>scratch65535@att.net wrote on 09/26/2016 21:42:
>> I have the PHP 7.0 package installed under 10.2.  Wanting to
>> install the pecl-imagick port, I called pkg search, which
>> returned a ref.  I only caught the fact that it was going to
>> install PHP 5.6 despite my having 7.0 installed  when it started
>> downloading 5.6.
>>
>> Given that PHP is one of the pillars of a FAMP setup, I'd think
>> that pkg should be aware of conflicts like that and return a
>> notice ("No version for PHP 7.0.  Install PHP 5.6?") rather than
>> blythely assume it'd be okay to install an older version of PHP
>> (or Apache, or MariaDB/MySQL, mutatis mutandis) despite an
>> already-installed later version.
>
>Did you stop pkg in the middle or did you let it go? I think it will
>show you conflict message and ask you if you would like to deinstall PHP
>7.0 and install 5.6 instead.
>
>Miroslav Lachman

I stopped it immediately.

If you're right about it showing a conflct message (my memory
says you are), I'd think it would be friendlier to print the
message first, before anything is downloaded.  It routinely
checks versions, so putting out the conflict message immediately,
even before showing the proposed downloads, shouldn't be hard.