Date:      Fri, 22 Jul 2005 01:36:00 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Efren Bravo <efrenba@dhl.co.cu>
Subject:   Re: install kde from CD?

On Thursday 21 July 2005 09:12 pm, Efren Bravo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > You need an iso of the OS that you can burn onto a CD or DVD. Then,
> > you can use it to install everything.
> > The ISOs are in ftp://ftp2.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386.
> > The 5.4 disc-1 iso is 537 MB and downloading that in cu-land can
> > take awhile.
>
> I've downloaded the two ISO CDs and I admit you, it was quite
> tortuous...

I remember downloading an iso via 54kb modem. My ISP would kick me off=20
every 8 hours and I would have to resume the download. I think it took=20
40 hours of connect time and most of a week to get a good copy.

> >A CD via DHL may be a lot faster :). The port tarbal will also
> > be on the iso.
>
> Yes your are right but DHL's policy doesn't able to us to use other
> OS unless HP-UX OS, but this OS only works in HP Servers...
>
> Well, my interest is learn unix. The first time I tried to install
> KDE from CD I got only errors...

The ISO CDs will have packages on them. A package is a pre-built binary=20
that you can install. As soon as they release a version, there is a=20
flurry of updates and new versions are added to the port system. So,=20
the iso is always out of date but it is still the best starting point.=20

Once you get it installed, there are versions of the Handbook in many=20
languages on /usr/doc. It has sections on maintaining your system.=20
After a few mistakes, the docs will start to make sense. FreeBSD may=20
not be the easiest Unix like OS to learn, but I don't have problems=20
with FreeBSD's QA structure like I do with the Linuxes.

If you have problems with KDE again, you can ask on the kde-list. The=20
list setup is at
http://freebsd.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-freebsd
You can also send emails to kde-freebsd@freebsd.kde.org and people=20
should include you in their responses.

The KDE people have a site at http://www.fruitsalad.org/. They have a=20
system that they use to maintain copies of all of the current packages=20
but it times out and must not be back up yet. If they have other=20
mirrors, I don't know where they are. I maintain KDE from source and=20
rarely use the packages.

Have fun,

Kent