Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 08:20:37 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Known MMAP() race conditions ... ?

Three weeks ago, I, and a few other INN administrators, posted about
FreeBSD -STABLE's inability to run the newest INN code, due to MMAP() race
conditions...essentially, after X hours of run time, on a heavily loaded
INN server, the whole thing locks up solid.

At that time, Matt pop'd up and stated that he knew of *at least* 6 MMAP()
related race conditions that he was hoping to be able to get fixed "within
a week"...that would have been two weeks ago.

I've been watching the -commit messages closely, and CVSup'ng a new kernel
almost daily, in the hopes of seeing some MMAP() related activity from
someone, and haven't seen anything so far, so I'm curious as to whether or
not anyone *but* Matt is aware of these race conditions, and/or is working
on this?

I'm trying to push moving some Solaris boxes at work over to FreeBSD,
with our INN server being the 'safest' example to move over first, but
there is no way I can do that with the current INN/FreeBSD interaction :(

Thanks...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org