Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:33:06 +0200
From:      Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
To:        Shrikant <shrikant@corp.123india.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading OpenSSH ...

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

Hi,

> II am trying to upgrade OpenSSH whihc is default in freeBSD .
> I am trying it using /usr/ports/security/openssh
>=20
> all the installation went good way .
> I rebooted my system to the frsh installation of SSH to come into action =
,But when i gave=20
> #ssh -V  =20
> it showed me the same old version=20
>=20
> Any solution about how to go about the upgradation  will be appreciated .=
=2E...

I think you were using the base system's ssh installation before (which
is located in /usr ). When you installed the OpenSSH port, you got a second
installation in /usr/local.

Please use `which ssh' and `which sshd' in order to confirm this
assumption. If it is true, then you have the following options:

1. Switch to the ports ssh -> since you already installed the port, you
only need to remove your ssh stuff in /usr, e.g. /usr/bin/ssh,
/usr/sbin/sshd, (kill the sshd before deleting it, but this will only
work if you are not currently logged in via ssh :-)...

Additionally, you have to tell the system to use the sshd in /usr/local,
so you should add the following line to /etc/rc.conf

sshd_program=3D"/usr/local/sbin/sshd"

In order to preserve your settings from the base system, you should
carefully merge the configuration files in /usr/local/etc/ssh with your old
ones in /etc/ssh.

You should also put NO_OPENSSH=3Dtrue into /etc/make.conf in order to
exclude OpenSSH from the following buildworlds.

2. Patch your base system's ssh as described here:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-03:12.openssh.=
asc

You should also delete the port in order to prevent future confusion

3. Delete the ssh port, and re-install it with PREFIX=3D/usr. This will
overwrite your base system's ssh, but I don't know whether this solution
is supported, and I don't think that it is the cleanest one...

NO_OPENSSH=3Dtrue in make.conf is of course also required.

I'd recommend to employ either option 1 or 2.

Regards,
 Simon

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c--