Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 20:20:01 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        anthony <apryan@mail.away.net>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD4.2-RELEASE kernel rebuilding errors

anthony wrote:

> .. <snip>
> > >
> > > Typical message from doing a buildkernel with out doing a buildworld
> > > first. Buildkernel depends on /usr/obj being populated by the
> > > buildworld.
>         That makes sense.
> >
> > Would it compile fine by using the handbook method (config, make depend,
> > make?) without /usr/obj being populated??
>
>         Yes, which I refered to as doing it 'manually'. The kernel
>         installed fine, just hoping it wont core on reboot. Does
>         'make buildkernel' update or install anything other then
>         the kernel itself?
>         -anthony

Josh's comments covers it. If you haven't upgraded your sources, the
old way is the way to go. I keep seeing these masochistic people that
do "config -r"'s when they don't need to. I also won't to know if you
need to do a clean and will run the config -r when things break.

If you have cvsuped 4-stable, then you are safer using the method in
/usr/src/UPDATING. The buildkernel method is designed to walk you
though a system change that requires a crossbuild. The transition from
4.0 to 4.1 was such a situation. I will occur again when gcc++ moves
to the next version. The config method probably won't work then
either. Since then, that hasn't been a problem; however, I really
don't like doing an installworld until I have a kernel built. So, I
simply created a script that did all of the steps except running
mergemaster. I usually time it to see how long it takes and when it
finishes I run mergemaster manually.

Kent

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA