Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 01:48:50 -0800
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        LeRoy <circuit@concentric.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hello,

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 12:15:50AM -0800, LeRoy wrote:
> To whom it my concern:
>

> I have a web server running freebsd2.2.7  with apache1.3 and my question is
> how can you run many web sites from one domain?
> Example:    www.happystuff.com  is the main web site  how does one make all
> my users have a web page. I was told how to do it but it don't seem to work
> Example:  say I have a user named dude.   the Main web site looks something
> like this:  www.happystuff.com/~dude  right
> Also I have put a public_HTML in the users directory, but no mater what I do
> it will say permission denied.
> Please anyone that runs something like this HELP!
> Thanks in advance

It helps to read the Apache docs to understand what is going on. You should
also check the configuration files in /usr/local/etc/apache. I think you
should look at the file srm.conf and the directive "UserDir". The default
setting for this is public_html. Note that Apache as well as Unix is case
sensitive.

What I do when I am having a problem with a web server or a CGI script is I
open an xterm, cd to /var/log and do a tail -f on httpd-error.log. I often
find my problem by watching the error messages come up in this file.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 3.0
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses