Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2003 11:55:14 -0600
From:      "Micheal Patterson" <micheal@tsgincorporated.com>
To:        <beantaxi@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: natd problem (but close!)

----- Original Message -----
From: "The Bean" <beantaxi@yahoo.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2003 11:27 AM
Subject: natd problem (but close!)

> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to get natd up on a FreeBSD 4.9-Stable box.
> I think I've followed every step, and it's still not quite working,
> although I believe it's getting close. My dual-homed box has
> two interfaces: internal ed0=10.13.0.1/8, and external
> xl0=xx.yy.zz.187/29 (note I've cleverly obscured the IP).
>
> Here's what I've done on the dual-homed box:
> - Kernel compiled with IPFIREWALL & IPDIVERT
> - gateway_enabled="YES", verified with sysctl -a list | grep ipforwarding
> - firewall set to open
> - natd_enabled="YES"
> - natd_interface=my external interface
> - natd_flags=-f /etc/natd.conf
> - /etc/natd.conf contains one line: redirect_address 10.0.0.13
xx.yy.zz.186,
> where xx.yy.zz.186 is the desired public IP for a client on my internal
> network, whose internal IP is 10.0.0.13
>
> On my client, I've set the default router to 10.13.0.1, which is the IP
for the
> internal interface for the gateway box.
>
> The gateway can access the Internet just fine. The client has some
problems,
> which I've attempted to diagnose by running tcpdump on the gateway, and
> trying a ping and a lynx from the client. Here are the results, as
reported
> by the gateway:

<snip>

Do an ipfw list and you should see an entry at or very near the top similar
to:
divert 8668 ip from any to any via xl0

If you don't, traffic isn't being diverted to NAT and it's trying to route
the 10 /8 traffic to it's connected router and dieing there.

--

Micheal Patterson
Network Administration