Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:14:20 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Simon Walton <simonw@lucent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, neal@nelsonnet.org
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad 600 Sound

> Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:57:00 -0700
> From: Simon Walton <simonw@lucent.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
>    Don't know if this helps, but I have a 600E and use the config lines:
>
> device                  snd
> device                  css0    at isa? port 0x530 irq 5 drq 1
> device                  mpu0    at isa? port 0x330 irq 0

Best way (if you are not running PNP) is:
device	 pcm0 at isa? port 0x52c irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x10
If you run PNP, just "device	 pcm0", but PNP wasted a lot of IRQs.
Remove snd and css0 devices.

cd /dev && ./MAKEDEV snd

Edit /sys/conf/files. Since this file changes a lot, the line numbers
will vary, but find "csa" and delete the line that reads:
dev/sound/pci/csa.c     optional pcm pci
and edit the following line to read:
dev/sound/pci/csapcm.c  optional csa pcm pci

Then rebuild your kernel and reboot. Sound should be fine.

Thanks to Jonathan Chen for how to do this!

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)