Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:26:50 +0200
From:      Oliver Lehmann <lehmann@ans-netz.de>
To:        "Ronald Klop" <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dri + ATI: dramatic performance slowdown

Ronald Klop wrote:

> X.org is quite good in autodetecting your hardware and running without a
> config. It works for me out-of-the-box with my Radeon HD 2400 XT and
> Radeon HD 2600 XT. (But I'm not using agp.)
> You can also try the xf86-video-ati driver. It works very well with 2d
> accell. (I'm using it also.)

When I tried xf86-video-ati in the past, it didn't deteced my ChipID so I
was forced to use the radeonhd driver (I even have to manually patch the
official generic AMD/ATI Windows XP driver to get support for my
card ;)).
I now retested the driver and my Xorg was left unresponsible after my
loginmanager slim tried to fire up my windowmanager. I only could kill it
from an other system, switching back to the console and back to X11 left
my Xorg in an unkillable state while eating up all my CPU time. So for my
xf86-video-ati is not an option :(

I'm also not sure how the RV610 or RV630 chipsets are different to my
RV670.

--
 Oliver Lehmann
  http://www.pofo.de/