Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 07:43:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        Darryl Hoar <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail & Pop3

On 2001-03-22, Darryl Hoar scribbled:

# setup email on my FreeBSD box so we can internal email once
# again.  I assume this requires sendmail and pop3 ?

You can use Sendmail, Postfix, Qmail or any other mail transfer agents
available. Sendmail tends to be harder to configure (unless if you have
the O'Reilly book or any other hefty reference manual available) than
Postfix. I would probably recommend on using Postfix (which is available
under Ports) and you can use Webmin (again, available under ports) to
configure and maintain not only Postfix but other system services.

As far as POP3 is concerned, I believe there is a POP3 daemon called
QPopper that can be used. If you want the mail to be stored on the
server, you can use IMAP4... which doesn't always work properly under
the full Outlook (albeit Outlook Express supports it fairly well).

--
Linh Pham
[lplist@closedsrc.org]

// 404b - Brain not found