Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 14:06:23 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        conrads@neosoft.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trash Voxware? (was Re: rvplayer requires pcm for stable)

Luigi Rizzo wrote:

[some snipping]
> > I really don't understand the eagerness to drop Voxware at this point in time.
> > Is it simply for the lack of maintainer?
>
> "simply" ? I am amazed, do people understand that the system is
> evolving so if a module works _now_ it does not mean it will work
> forever without mainteinance ?

	Some of us do understand that, yes. However, given that it works NOW it
is foolish to consider removing it NOW. Also, if it does get broken at
some point in the future a maintainer might become sufficiently
motivated to step forward.

> On the other hand people is not forced to upgrade, so even when a
> driver is removed they can happily stay with the last version that
> supported their favourite hardware.

	This argument is completely non sequitur. Removing the driver at some
point X in the future means that you've denied access to it for everyone
who installs freebsd at some point beyond X. Sure, a new user could
theoretically go back and get the parts and install it himself, but this
is horrible customer relations. If freebsd really wants to grow then
it's going to have to start thinking along these lines.

	My point stated simply is that if it's not broken, don't remove it
until there is a suitable, full featured replacement.

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

    Go PADRES!