Date:      Tue, 1 Mar 2005 12:08:45 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Per olof Ljungmark <peo@intersonic.se>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Perl out of memory [sbrk()]

In the last episode (Mar 01), Per olof Ljungmark said:
> I'm running imapsync that also uses p5-Mail-IMAPClient-2.2.9 to transfer
> mailboxes between imap servers.
>
> The following error occurs when a message has an attachment of more that
> approx 35MB in size:
> "Out of memory during "large" request for 67112960 bytes, total sbrk()
> is 487512064 bytes at /usr/local/bin/imapsync line 790."

According to that output, perl was already using 464MB, and a malloc
request for 64MB failed, which is reasonable since the default hard
datasize limit on FreeBSD is 512MB.  To raise it, put this in
/boot/loader.conf and reboot:

kern.maxdsiz="1024M"

> Running 5.3-STABLE a week or so old
> Perl 5.8.6 from ports.
>
> What bothers me especially is that this error will not occur when I run
> the same command from a old RH Linux (7.2) box. Appriciate comments

Also running perl 5.8.6, on the same mailbox?  Maybe different perl
versions allocate memory differently.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com