Date:      Sun, 28 Dec 2014 18:15:22 +0000
From:      Paul Chakravarti <paul.chakravarti@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS: Mount partition from ZVOL with volmode=dev

> > Sorry - I should have been clearer. The zvol shows up on the host
> > system but the partitions aren=E2=80=99t exposed to geom.
>
> That's exactly what volmode=3Ddev does, if you want geom ones don't
> specify volmode.

OK, that make sense

> > Using volmode=3Ddefault (geom - vfs.zfs.vol.mode=3D1) causes the =
installer to fail
> > when you try to create a UFS filesystem under bhyve - it is possible =
to get
> > round this by creating the partitions manually but my preference =
would be to
> > use volmode=3Ddev.
>=20
> What error do you get?

If you try a UFS install on a device with volmode=3Dgeom you get the =
following error message (zfs install or creating partitions manually =
outside the VM works fine):

    Error mounting partition /mnt: mount: /dev/vtbd0p2: Invalid argument

This has been discussed on freebsd-virtualisation =
(https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/2014-August/00=
2748.html) where they recommend setting volmode=3Ddev

I actually think I have solved my immediate problem (though it is a bit =
cumbersome)- if I create my template vol with volmode=3Ddev I can =
send/recv a snapshot to create a clone with volmode=3Dgeom, mount the =
partition on the host system and edit the contents, and then send/recv a =
second clone with volmode=3Ddev.

Thanks, Paul