Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 16:58:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Roger P. Johnson" <rpj@fep.hirshfields.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   I got 2940UW timeout problem also ... help please ...

Hi.

     OK. I have searched the archives, etc. and still need help on what
appears to be an age old problem with these 2940UW's.

     I cannot install FreeBSD 2.2.6 or 2.2.2 onto this configuration:
        DEC Celebris 590
        16 MB RAM
        2940UW BIOS ver. 1.32
        Seagate ST34572W 4550MB Barracuda (Ultra Wide; 68 pin)
        Panasonic SCSI-2 CD-ROM.

     At the very basic level, I only have the 2940UW and the HD installed.
Forget the CD-ROM at this point. Don't even have the 50 pin cable attached
(not that it mattered).

     I am only using the 68 pin cable to the hard drive which is terminated
by the hard drive on the very last connector.

     After FreeBSD boots up from the floppy, I finish the visual configuration
and the 2940UW is reconized, and I have to wait for the SCSI devices to settle.
Then big long pause while it times out on all along the chain. If you leave it
long enough you get the installation menu, and then she reboots and does it all
over again.

      So I try this:
        I have a working FreeBSD 2.2.2 on a 1GB narrow SCSI-3 hd via 2940AU card.
I plug this working hard drive into the end connector of the 50 pin ribbon cable
attached to the 2940UW, remove the 68 pin wide cable an try to boot. I get the
same problem. It will load the boot block off of the hard disk, but after letting
the scsi devices settle, it times out etc etc. etc.

     Help! What can I do? I have tried dinging with the 2940UW BIOS settings
many a times, and can't get see what's wrong. Tried the messing with the termination
settings (don't see what was wrong with them anyways).

     Using the adaptors defaults, with the wide hard drive w/termination, all in
its basic form doesn't work either.

     Any patches I need? Any pointers are really welcomed here. I know there are
lots of people using the aic-7880 controller.

      roger
      rjohnson@hirshfields.com